Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Me, events, and networking

The Point: I like people, I like helping them, and I have an event planning background... why the heck haven't I organized some professional networking sessions already?!

I find it helpful and reassuring to constantly think about what I'm good at/for-- you know, as a way of validating my existence. I've been doing this for a little over 15 years. So far the verdict is that I deserve the space and air I consume on this planet.

It was during one of these, rather self-absorbed sessions, that I realized that my skill at event planning could, and should be put to use outside the confines of my office. Don't get me wrong, I've organized a few parties in my day, and they were NICE, but what I'm really thinking about is something more along the lines of a fun professional networking shindig. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's been done, and I've been to some of them, and they either degenerated into an overcrowded drinkfest, or the participants were so shy (and the drab corporate atmosphere didn't help either) that they never really made good, strong connections.

My idea is simple, and has probably been done before, but I'll do it again anyway! And you're more than welcome to borrow it too:

  • Starting with close friends and friends of friends, invite a limited and diverse (or be industry specific-- your call) number of people to a networking event. In this day and age of Layoff Peek-a-boo (get it-- now you have a job, now you don't? Get it?!)most people would be more than happy to join you for a little networking action.
  • Find a nice little bar and talk to the manager to give you the place on some Wednesday or Thursday evening, and promise him 30 - 50 people (make sure you deliver). Don't forget to request discounts on drinks and food etc. Most people would be happy to oblige since they generally don't get a whole lot of people patronizing their establishments during the weekdays.
  • Get to the place a little early, decorate a little bit and wait for your guests to arrive. And take the lead to introduce people. Encourage others to do the same, and you'll be surprised how well it works, especially since this group are already acquainted to one or more people on the room.
That's it. That's my idea.

NOW NOTE: These are by no means hard or fast rules and I will NOT be held responsible for a flopping event. All I'm doing here is offering some quick tips that have been helpful to me in organizing past events. If you really want to do this, do a little bit more research. Start by Googling "How to organize a bar event", and go from there.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment, and/or signing up for RSS updates. Your comments and insight make a huge difference. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment